Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Farewell My Princess

"In The Name of Allah, 
Most Gracious, Most Merciful"


My first entry as a blogger is dedicated to 
my little princess Sara,
though no longer with us, 
will be loved and cherished forever.


November 4th, 2009. It’s been exactly one month since I gave birth to my precious little princess, Sara, who only managed to grace us with her presence in this world for exactly 2 days and 10 hours.

When my husband and I discovered that I was pregnant, we were over the moon as we have been trying for another child, a little brother or sister for our 7 years old son, Shafiq. Later, when the ultrasound revealed that we will be welcoming a daughter in October, my husband and I could not be happier. It felt as though our little family is now complete. Shafiq was estatic that he will be getting a little sister and is always kissing Mummy’s tummy and asking Mummy when is his baby sister arriving. Little did we know what awaits us.

Sara was born on October 4th, 2009 via an emergency C-section and was immediately rushed to NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) as her vital organs were struggling to function. The doctors suspected that she was suffering from some chromosome disorder and when the test results came back, it was confirmed that Sara has Trisomy 18 (also known as Edward’s Syndrome). The syndrome occurs in approximately one out of every 3,000 to 5,000 births and the doctors explained that babies with Trisomy 18 has a very low survival rate and in Sara’s case, there’s nothing that they can do as her vitals organs are not functioning.

At 3.30 am on October 7th, 2009, my husband woke me up as he received a call from the NICU. He wheeled me there (as I had to move about in a wheelchair because of the C-Section) and when we arrived there, our little princess is no longer with us. After the nurses removed all the tubes and wires attached to Sara, I finally got to hold her in my arms and cuddled her though she was no longer with us. After my husband called up our family members to tell them the sad news and made the necessary arrangements for Sara’s funeral. we spent the next hour holding her, touching her, talking to her, saying our goodbyes. No words can describe the pain and heartache, the numbness, the loss that we felt and still feel to this very day.
My little Sara is indeed very strong and a fighter because Edward’s Syndrome babies usually will not survive the prenatal period and some are stillborn. Our little princess fought against all that so that Mummy, Daddy and Abang Shafiq got a chance to meet her and be with her even though for the briefest period of time.
Never a day goes by that I do not think of my precious little Sara.
-My Precious Sara-
You were so wanted, so wished for, so anticipated 
and so loved 
by Mummy, Daddy and Abang Shafiq.
In my heart, I feel as your Mummy I should have done more,
something, anything to keep you safe from harm.
I am so sorry if there was anything
I did or didn’t do that would have made a difference.
Please forgive me my precious.
I wanted so much to be your Mummy.
Holding you in my arms, kissing you goodbye
was the hardest thing I have ever done.
You will be in my heart till the end of time
You are and will always be my little princess.

8 comments:

  1. I cried reading your post.Can't hold my tears.. As a mum, I can understand how you feel. But I don't think am as strong as you. Please don't put any blame on to yourself coz God has planned everything for you. You have been a great and wonderful mom to them. Sara will always be loved an missed by all of us...amin

    ReplyDelete
  2. heard about it before.
    but reading the true experienced makes we want to cry too.
    God has his own plan for Sara. may she rest in peace.
    hope there will be another chance for u & Shafiq to be a mom & brother again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear "hafizahsalleh" and "FrH": Thank you very much for the kind words of support and encouragement. It helps me deal with the grief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not write it better than you. We will get through this my love and will be stronger. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. i too couldn't hold back the tears. as Zaza said, being a mother, i can imagine how u feel. but i don't think i can truly understand the grief. be strong Su, as God has a plan for everything.. Sara will always be remembered and loved. take good care of urself okie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Pearly": Thank you very much for the kind & comforting words my friend.
    "KaiserSoze: Thank you for being my pillar of strength. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mrs Z,

    Sedih I baca. And I cant imagnine how u must have felt. Dear, u are Sara's mummy dunia akhirat. She's a little angel now safe in the hands of Allah swt. Sara akan tunggu u di pintu syurga...

    Luv,
    N

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Nita,

    Thank you dear for the thoughtful and kind words. I know you're going through a difficult phase in life too with the recent passing of your beloved Dad. Insya-Allah, we'll get through these tiring times together. We can never forget our love ones but we learn to accept they are no longer with us.

    ReplyDelete