Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Birthday Wishes.

This is not another birthday entry per say. Just something that I've been wanting to share. Totally forgot about it until Hubby brought the subject up. Hubby was feeling disappointed, a bit let down that none of his siblings (Kak Ngah, Dikjam & Awu) smsed him on his birthday.  Hubby was not expecting much here, just a birthday sms from his siblings. Hubby will always without fail sent personal birthday smses to his sister and brothers.

Kak Ngah and Awu (the 2nd & 4th siblings) did wish Hubby on his birthday, but via his Facebook wall. Dik Jam (the 3rd one) who claims he does not have a Facebook was the only sibling that did eventually sent Hubby a birthday sms, but a day later. (I guess it's better late than never, right?)

Yes, Hubby is constantly checking his Facebook but the birthday wishes that really matters to him are from the ones who actually took the trouble to call him up, or sms him. 

Thanks to the birthday reminder on Facebook, you can be certain that you'll receive tons of birthday wishes on your Facebook wall. Anybody who is on your friend list would definitely know it's your birthday, provided that they check their Facebook regularly, of course.

I personally feel that birthday wishes on Facebook walls are a bit impersonal. Personal birthday messages sent to the Facebook inbox is very okay as the sender actually took the time to click on the message icon and type out a birthday message. Receiving birthday messages on my Facebook wall from not so close friends is okay.

But when it's somebody you consider yourself close to (family or friends), I do get disappointed. I make it a point to call or at least sent a birthday sms to family and friends that matters to me. If I can't get hold of them, I would send a personal birthday message to their Facebook inbox. So, I was kind of disappointed to be receiving birthday postings on my Facebook wall from a few friends whom I thought were good friends of mine and whom I thought felt the same way about me because on their birthdays, I actually called them up or smsed them. Perhaps they have their reasons but I don't think a birthday sms to a Singapore mobile number will cost a bomb. Guess I'm not as important to them as they are to me. 

So what do you people out there think? Should you call/sms close family and friends on their birthdays or does a birthday wish on their Facebook wall suffice? 

p/s: I know I'm being very old school here but I do miss the days when I used to receive birthday cards in the mailbox. Sigh...

2 comments:

  1. happy new year 2011 mrs z!!

    p/s i made a birthday wish in you previous post tp xtau la maybe internet tetiba down plak so it doesnt appear. anyway happy belated birthday to u =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi FrH.

    Thank you so much my dear for the wishes. Wishing you a blessed 2011 & for all great things to come your way this year.

    Wah, mesti seronok, dah start kerja baru. Jangan lupa belanja bila dapat gaji baru. :))

    ReplyDelete