Monday, October 4, 2010

Happy Birthday Sara.

October 4th, 2010. If our lil baby girl was still with us, we would probably be celebrating her 1st birthday today.

Waking up this morning was quite a difficult feat for me as I knew what "today" represents. Since losing Sara last year, it has sort of become like a grieving ritual for me to keep track of how many days has passed since we lost our precious lil girl. 

I did not say anything to Hubby about "today" as I did not want him to be sad. However, before he left for office this morning, he asked me whether I knew what day it was today and before I knew it, he started to cry. I did not break down and cried with him as I wanted to be strong for him. Soon after he left, the flood gates of tears opened and I found myself crying my heart out as I remembered vividly everything that happened from the birth of our daughter, the endless hours spent at the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), the heart wrenching feeling we experienced when the doctors confirmed that there's nothing they can do for Sara, holding a lifeless Sara in our hands, making the necessary arrangements for her funeral and finally going back home, no longer pregnant but without a baby to put into the beautiful crib we got her.

Nur Sara Aleesya was born on October 4th, via an emergency C-section, weighing only 1.45kg. and was immediately rushed to the NICU as her vital organs were struggling to function. The doctors suspected that she was suffering from some chromosome disorder and when the test results came back, it was confirmed that Sara has Trisomy 18 (also known as Edward’s Syndrome). The syndrome occurs in approximately one out of every 3,000 to 5,000 births and the doctors explained that babies with Trisomy 18 has a very low survival rate and in Sara’s case, there’s nothing that they can do as her vitals organs were not functioning accordingly. 

She left us on the morning of October 7th, 2009, after managing to hold on for as long as she could so that Daddy, Mommy, Abang Shafiq and the rest of our immediate family members could say our goodbyes.

I have never shared any photos of our Sara because it was too painful for me to look at them, let alone share them with family members and friends. Truth be told, I have never looked at the photos until this very morning. (With the exception of this one lil pic of her which have been stored in my handphone, that I look at every single night before I go to sleep)

As today is a special day in our lives, a day for me to remember that I have been blessed with a beautiful baby daughter, no matter if it was only for a fleeting moment, here are some personal photos that we took to remember her by.


Our lil darling, Nur Sara Aleesya.


The first time I got to hold her in my arms.


Saying goodbye to her was the most difficult thing I ever had to do.


Hubby having his final moments with her 
before we had to prepare her for the funeral.

Happy Birthday my lil princess. We love you, so very much.

Al Fatihah for my lil Angel.

12 comments:

  1. it is sooooo heartbreaking to see such photo.
    sedihnyeeeeeeeeee :(

    al-fatihah utk sara.
    at least we know she is in a better place :)
    amin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a toucing post....
    Al-fatihah for Sara...
    She is in a much better place dear....
    Be strong sui...

    Hugs and kisses to you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest FrH,

    Thank you so much for your wishes and prayers.

    Looking back at all the photos was quite difficult, especially bila tengok muka sedih Hubby. It was even more difficult for him as he had to fetch Sara from the hospital mortuary, then holding Sara in his arms while traveling in the van jenazah. I was not able to attend her funeral as I was still not discharged. I only managed to visit her grave about 2 weeks later.

    You are right FrH. She is in a better place. Allah loves her more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myra:

    Hi Dear. Thank you so much for your kind words and prayers. Like you said, she is in a better place. Knowing that, make things a bit easier for us.

    Take care babe.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Al-fatihah to Sara....

    I cried reading this post..... speechless...
    take care dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zaza:

    Hi my dear. Lama takde blog update from Little Castle. Dr. Zaza busy ye?

    Tqvm for the prayers Zaza. Dah one year ni, we all semua macam dah ok. Tapi bila datang time sedih tu, menitislah jugak air mata. But it helps a great deal knowing that I have the support of friends like you. :D

    Take care my dear. Don't work too hard, ok?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though we only held you briefly, you will forever be cherished and loved my little princess...

    May we one day be reunited for all eternity. InsyaAllah...

    We love you, wherever you are now....

    ReplyDelete
  8. it took me quite sometime to actually comment on this entry.
    macam ada benda nak tulis.. but when i wanted to start, it all went blank.
    kak sui, actually, my reader shared me the link of Sara's entry of yours which is how i first became your silent reader, few months back. mula2 macam nak tegur, but the moment I realize you're Syahrul's sister, terus segan jadi silent reader je. ;)
    Stories of Sara touches my heart as I am indeed a kids lover. And, honestly, even though I know that Sara is definitely in a better place, I can't imagine how you go through every single day.
    Allah duga, hanya benda yang kita mampu tanggung, kan? So I guess, Allah knows better.
    InsyaAllah, seeing you even sekejap je that day, I must say, you're indeed one strong women.
    Al-Fatihah to Sara.
    You take great care, ok Kak Sui?
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. KaiserSaze:

    Beautifully said my love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Ayu,

    Thank you so much my dear for gracing this lil page of mine with your comforting words.

    Me, strong? Takdelah strong mana. That's why kadang2 tu, you see my "meroyan" entries. hehehe.

    I pun tak sangka, a friend of my brother reads my blog. Terharu you! (sambil tersenyum kambing) So, I kena berhati-hati tak boleh kutuk Syahrul dalam blog. hehe

    I really enjoyed meeting you the other day, Ayu. You're such a pleasant person and really easy to get along with. Me really like you. :D

    Let's meet up again the next time I'm back. (Maybe without Syahrul tagging along so kita boleh gosip2 sikit.) wink,wink

    Take care dear. See you soon.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was crying by the time I looked at the pics, esp the pic of u holding, looking at her and saying goodbye *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cosmic_GurL:

    Hi Dear. Sorry, I just realized there was a comment from you. Please don't be sad. We're pretty much okay now. Big Hugs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete