Thursday, September 2, 2010

Under The Weather.

Yours truly has been partially deaf for the last 2 days. I may be exaggerating a bit here. The thing is, I’ve got this terrible ear infection in my left ear (my important ear because that’s the ear I use for phone calls). Been relying on panadols to help ease the excruciating pain but it does not help much as I can only take them after Iftar. So Hubby forced me to see the doctor today. (Actually if Hubby had not forced me, I would have eventually gone on my own today coz the pain is getting unbearable) Doctor diagnosed me as having a very bad case of ear infection (Thanks Doc! As if I didn’t already know) so I’ve been prescribed with loads of medication and ear cream and told by the doctor not to fast for the next few days as I have to finish the course of antibiotics. What a bummer!!!

Shafiq is also not well. My poor boy! He’s been having this on and off nagging cough for the past few weeks. I took him to see the normal GP but he never seem to get any better. So I took him to the pediatrician yesterday and discovered that his lungs are slightly inflamed by all the coughing. He’s been given an insane amount of medication and on top of that, he has to be on the nebuliser (*) every 4 hours for the next 3 days with a follow up appointment with the pediatrician this Saturday. The total cost for doctor’s consultation fees, medications plus rental of the nebuliser machine, set us back around SGD330. I’m not complaining about the cost but just can’t help but wonder if that’s the normal rate for a consultant pediatrician in Singapore.


Nope, this is not Shafiq on the nebuliser. 
Shafiq refused to let his Mommy snap a pic of him using the nebuliser. 
So Mommy had to google for the above image.

Shafiq is upset with both me and the doctor for not allowing him to fast. The doctor has given strict instructions that Shafiq should not fast during the next few days as he has to complete his medications especially the antibiotics. But I’ve got to say that Shafiq is one strong boy. Although he’s not fasting, he’s not enjoying his freedom of not fasting by eating away. He only wants to eat before he has to take his medicines coz he knows he can only consume his medicines after food. In his own little way, he’s still trying his best to “fast”.

Got to go now. It’s time for Shafiq’s next round with the nebuliser. Hope he gets well soon, in time for Raya next week.

(*) A nebuliser changes medication from a liquid to a mist so that it can be more easily inhaled into the lungs. Nebulisers are particularly effective in delivering asthma medications to infants and small children and to anyone who has difficulty using an asthma inhaler.

It is also convenient when a large dose of an inhaled medication is needed. Nebulised therapy is often called a "breathing treatment." And a variety of medications -- both for immediate relief and maintenance of asthma symptoms -- are available for use with a nebuliser.  (Source: http://www.webmd.com)

3 comments:

  1. kesiannya.... get well soon. and don't forget to finish the antibiotics! take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. haaa tu diaaa pesanan doctor ..

    recover soon for both of u. kesiannye shafiq xdpt puasa penuh ..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zaza:
    Baik Dr! hahaha (btw, thanks for the get well wish. :D)

    FrH:
    Thanks FrH. Betul tu, kena ikut pesanan Dr. :D. Mmg kesian kat Shafiq tak dapat puasa penuh. Dia tak bagi Mommy dia beritahu sape2 tapi Mommy dia siap tulis kat blog lagi. hahaha (kalau Shafiq tahu, habislah!)

    ReplyDelete