Sunday, October 21, 2012

Recuperating.




What's with the above photo of a hospital bed, you wonder? That was exactly where I had to stay for 2 nights a few days ago. 

I had to eventually undergo surgery to remove my "ectopic pregnancy". My pregnancy this time around occurred in my right fallopian tube. This type of ectopic pregnancy is also commonly known as a tubal pregnancy. 

"Consultant 1" suggested that I undergo treatment via injection of a medication called methotrexate to shrink the ectopic pregnancy. He also said that if the methotrexate did not work out, then I would have to undergo a procedure called salpingostomy whereby the egg is removed from the tube without the need to completely remove the affected tube. 

I had to go for regular blood tests in order to determine whether the methotrexate treatment was working. The blood test results on Wednesday (Oct 17th, 2012) was not good and I was then immediately referred to "Consultant 2".

Guess what? In the end, they removed my right fallopian tube. Prior to the surgery, I asked "Consultant 2" whether he's going to completely remove my right tube. He said that in cases where the patients still have 2 fallopian tubes, they will remove the tube with the tubal pregnancy. I told him that I was not having any pains which should mean that my right tube hasn't ruptured, so a simple removal of the egg without the complete removal of the tube should suffice. ( Not trying to be doctor here but I've been reading up a lot about ectopic pregnancies, treatments, procedures, etc.) 

I told him that as it is, with 2 fallopian tubes, I was having a hard time conceiving but "Consultant 2" had the cheek to say, I don't need the tubes as I can always try to conceive via "IVF". 

After the surgery, the doctor said everything was a "mess" inside that they had to remove my right tube.   He said my left tube was normal but the chances of me having another ectopic pregnancy is higher now. I then asked him what about "IVF" as per his earlier suggestion. He said that "IVF" is not possible now due to the "location" of my uterus. All these being said to me, within 4 hours post surgery where I was still recovering from the pain of the procedure. I didn't know whether to cry or scream at "Consultant 2". He could have been a bit more tactful with his choice of words, a bit more understanding of my current situation and waited till I was fully recovered before saying anything.

So here I am at home, recuperating from the surgery and a broken heart, knowing that I might never be able to have another baby again.

4 comments:

  1. Salam perkenalan dari Penang ,

    Sangat sedih baca pengalaman puan tp pada masa yg sama geram + marah dgn sikap doktor sebegitu, yg nyata dia tiada langsung empathy & menjadikan dirinya tahap terendah di mata saya.

    Tidak tahu apA patut saya ungkapkn buat puan kerna berat lg bahu yg memikul. Cuma dalam keadaan ini , kita bergantung harap sahajalah pada Yg Maha Kuasa. Keajaiban Allah itu kadang2 kita tidak terduga puan. Jangan give-up ya, I know you're strong woman, that's y you're given this test by Allah.

    Maafkn saya andai kata2 saya m'ganggu puan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam. Saya rasa sedih juga bila baca kisah puan. Banyak bersabar dan semoga puan cepat sembuh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mixed-family in da house...

    Salam perkenalan dari saya juga. Terima kasih kerana sudi singgah di sini. Kata-kata Puan amat saya hargai lebih-lebih lagi pada saat ini. Insya-Allah, berkat doa dan sokongan family and friends plus support from new cyber friends seperti Puan, I'll be okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. kasihilmar

    Salam Puan Kasih. Terima kasih for the well wishes. Amat saya hargai. :)

    ReplyDelete