Monday, August 23, 2010

Aunty Oh Aunty.

Happy Monday You All! How was your weekend? We were in KL over the weekend. Have not been back in a while so we drove back to KL last Friday morning as Shafiq was on holiday and Hubby managed to get leave even though he’s still on probation at his “new job at his old place". Alhamdullilah, dapatlah berbuka puasa with the inlaws and my family.In two weeks time, will be driving back to KL again for Raya. Pejam celik, pejam celik, dah 13 hari kita puasa. My baju raya pun dah siap (it’s been quite a while since I last buat baju kurung so nak lepaskan geram, buat 3 pasang terus. Hehehe)

I seriously need to look for a new tailor though. My tailor is this Chinese Aunty in her sixties. She’s been doing my baju kurung for the past few years but lately, I’ve been having some problems with her tailoring.

Last year, she nearly ruined this really expensive lace material that she was supposed to make into a long maternity dress that I was to wear for my BIL’s wedding. When the time came to collect the dress, I saw that there was a big tear in between the lacey material. I nearly cried no thanks to the pregnant hormones in me at that time and the fact that I might not have anything to wear to my BIL’s wedding. Somehow or rather, she managed to fix it but even after fixing it, if you really look closely, you can tell that there is this part of the baju, where she had to do some “patch” work and trust me, it ain’t pretty.

Okaylah, that was last year’s story. This year, I thought kalau setakat buat baju kurung pesak biasa, takkanlah dia boleh rosakkan the material, right? So, when I went to collect the baju kurung at her place in SS2 last weekend, I saw that the baju kurungs’ looked okay. At first, I thought to just pay her, take the baju kurung and leave. Luckily, Hubby insisted on me trying it on first, to see that everything fits well. So dengan malasnya, I pun try it on and guess what. My baju kurung sleeves came up above my wrist. It was so hideous! It was like I was wearing an old baju that doesn’t fit me anymore.

Guess what she said when I said that I was not happy with the sleeves? She said, "Cantiklah itu macam. Mana ada orang pakai baju kurung dengan lengan panjang-panjang. Nanti you nampak macam orang kampung! Sekarang punya style, memang lengan pendek punya. Itu Datin-datin sekarang suka pakai lengan itu macam, Boleh kasi nampak itu gelang emas, gelang berlian".

So I pun replied to my tailor:
"Haiyah Aunty. Saya bukan mak datin. Saya takde emas ke, berlian ke mau tunjuk sama semua orang. Saya suka buju kurung pesak style zaman dulu punya. Saya mahu Aunty betulkan saya punya baju punya lengan. Saya mahu lengan baju kurung saya panjang. Saya tak kisahlah kalau orang mau cakap saya ni kampung punya orang".

After much arguing, she finally agreed to lengthen the sleeves of my baju kurung. But seriously, after these few “episodes” with this tailor of mine, I think it’s high time I look for a new one. Furthermore, I don’t know how long more she’ll be around to sew. sigh...

Anybody out there who could refer me to a good tailor?

2 comments:

  1. the tittle should be "drama baju kurung raya i" hihi :P

    i know this one makcik / cikgu, she used to have a tailor shop tapi sekarang dah jahit kat rumah sendiri jek. she sew my nikah baju kurung, few of my baju kurungs, mom's n zaza's. if u interested i can give u her number, anyway she's in JB (uda). so far dia mmg bagus (promote). tailor i kat sini semua mengecewakan, tak mcm dia. so kadang2 tu pass kat membe yg balik jb bg kat dia suruh jahit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FrH:
    Bagus jugak your recommended title for this entry. :D

    Tailor I ni, masa mula2 dulu ok. Dia memang pandai jahit. Tapi dah semakin tua, dah mula nyanyuk sikit. Pernah sekali tu, kain I boleh hilang. Nasib baik Aunty tu jumpa balik.

    Sekrg ni mmg susah nak cari good tailor. Tqvm for recommending your tailor in JB. Maybe I should consider sending to her since she comes highly recommended by you. JB & Singapore taklah jauh mana tapi kita orang jarang gi JB. Takut sebab kereta kita org plet no S'pore. They say kereta S'pore selalu jadi target utk kena rompak, kereta kena calar & mcm2 lagi. Tak tahulah betul ke tak. Maybe we are just being paranoid. hehehe

    ReplyDelete